Sunday, April 22, 2012

Handmade all natural vapor rub



A few days ago I ended up getting that cruddy cold that has been going around. Yesterday I woke up and could not breathe so I decided to make my own vapor rub. I would just go out and buy Vicks Vapor Rub but I really do not care for petroleum based products plus making your own is super easy and fun. All you need is a container, virgin coconut oil, essential oils of eucalyptus and peppermint.

I used a small antique Noxzema jar (it looks like a Vicks jar). Wash container plus lid very well then boil them to sanitize. A glass container works best for this home remedy because it can withstand the essential oils. If using plastic make sure it is PET plastic, it is one of the only plastics that can hold up to essential oils, I know because I used to be a project manager for a cosmetic manufacturing firm that also made handmade beauty preparations.

For my base I used virgin coconut oil. I buy it by the 1/2 gallon and use it for cooking/baking (has a slight coconut flavor), in beauty preparations, and home remedies. Take about 4 tablespoons of virgin coconut oil and spoon it into a jar. Virgin coconut oil is semi soft when left at room temperature (except in winter when it is cold it can get quite hard) its melting point is body temperature. The only time I ever refrigerate it is in August when it gets warm here. Virgin coconut oil has a shelf life of about one year. Next add your essential oils, 30 drops of eucalyptus and 20 drops of peppermint. Stir them in with a chopstick or any other non metal utensil (preferably something that you do not use to eat with, I have one designated chopstick just for stirring essential oils, the other chopstick I use to tie my hair back with when it is long). Do not fill your product all the way up to the metal lid (do not let anything that contains essential oils get into contact with metal of any kinds it make it go bad, smell funny, and makes the metal rusty eventually).

Apply your home made vapor rub onto chest, do not place in nostrils or under nose or on face. Wear loose clothing or be aware that the vapor rub is an oil base and may stain clothing.

The owner of this blog is in no way making any medical claims what so ever and the above vapor rub is merely used as a beauty preparation only.


No comments: