Saturday, October 31, 2009

Have a Happy Halloween Everybody!

This year I have personally decided not to celebrate Halloween and to celebrate dia de los muertos instead. This will be my second year doing this. Last year I made a dia de los muertos altar with a paper mache' skeleton (Esperanza) and a paper mache' red devil (Julio) in my studio apartment and I had crepe' paper skeletons hanging around, candles lit up and I made some collages in honor of the tradition also. I proceeded to go around Portland taking pictures of other altars around town and added them to my collages.

This year I am going to a community dia de los meurtos celebration on Nov. 1st at the Someday Lounge in NW Portland. They will be starting off with making sugar skulls, building a community altar, then a parade from down town to old town, costumes, live music (a few different bands - one which is leading the parade), movies, tamales, and hot chocolate! Sounds like my kind of festaval. I can't wait for tomorrow to come!

No comments: